DataFirst is involved in training and technical support for microdata management and usage in Africa. Training undertaken by the unit includes regular workshops on survey analysis to train African quantitative social scientists.
The unit also maintains the website for a web course on The Analysis of South African Household Survey Data which is a distance learning tool to advance regional quantitative analysis skills. The course is free and self-paced.
DataFirst works with the International Household Survey Network's OECD funded project, the Accelerated Data Program to provide tools and training for the management and dissemination of African census and survey microdata.
This diploma is intended to equip participants with the survey and data skills to contribute to the policy debates in South Africa and the world. Both the practical data skills as well as the theoretical understanding of the development and policy context will be emphasised. Find out more.
DataFirst and SALDRU jointly run a number of short training courses. Online application is open for the Summer training programme,
- Introduction to Data Analysis using Stata | 15-17 January 2020 | Online application is closed.
- Introduction to Data Analysis using R | 20-22 January 2020 | Online application is closed..
- Analysing Spatial Data using R | 23-24 January 2020 | Online application is closed.
- Econometrics short course | 20-24 January 2020 | Apply Online.
- Understanding Complex Social Survey Data | 27-31 January 2020 | Apply Online.
- Understanding Panel Survey Data | 3-7 February 2020 | Apply Online.
- Dealing with Missing Value Problems by means of Multiple Imputation using Stata | This course has been postponed to June 2020.
- Introduction to Data Analysis using Stata | June 2020.
- Understanding the South African Labour Market | June 2020.
- Measuring Consumption | June 2020.
- Measuring Economic Welfare| June 2020.