DataFirst is involved in training and technical support for microdata management and usage in Africa. Training undertaken by the unit includes regular workshops on survey analysis to train African quantitative social scientists.
The unit also maintains the website for a web course on The Analysis of South African Household Survey Data which is a distance learning tool to advance regional quantitative analysis skills. The course is free and self-paced.
DataFirst works with the International Household Survey Network's OECD funded project, the Accelerated Data Program to provide tools and training for the management and dissemination of African census and survey microdata.
This diploma is intended to equip participants with the survey and data skills to contribute to the policy debates in South Africa and the world. Both the practical data skills as well as the theoretical understanding of the development and policy context will be emphasised.
Please note: To minimise the spread of COVID-19, the University of Cape Town has opted to minimise physical contact as far as possible. Our courses will be offered online. Click on the course name for more information.
- Understanding Complex Social Survey Data| To be confirmed
- Understanding Panel Survey Data
- Dealing with missing data in household surveys | 25-27 May 2022 | Apply online
- Introduction to Data Analysis using R
- Analysing Spatial Data using R
- Understanding the South African Labour Market | Next course will run in July 2022
- Measuring Economic Welfare | Next course will run in July 2022
- Measuring Consumption | Next course will run in July 2022
- Introduction to Data Analysis using Stata | This course has been postponed.
- Econometrics short course
Subscribe to our short courses mailing list.
By subscribing to our mailing list you will always stay up to date with our latest courses. We will never resell or repurpose your address.