DataFirst is involved in training and technical support for microdata management and usage in Africa. Training undertaken by the unit includes regular workshops on survey analysis to train African quantitative social scientists.
The unit also maintains the website for a web course on The Analysis of South African Household Survey Data which is a distance learning tool to advance regional quantitative analysis skills. The course is free and self-paced.
DataFirst works with the International Household Survey Network's OECD funded project, the Accelerated Data Program to provide tools and training for the management and dissemination of African census and survey microdata.
This diploma is intended to equip participants with the survey and data skills to contribute to the policy debates in South Africa and the world. Both the practical data skills as well as the theoretical understanding of the development and policy context will be emphasised. Find out more.
DataFirst and SALDRU jointly run a number of short training courses. The tentative dates for 2018 are:
- Introduction to Stata | 30 May to 1 June 2018 | Apply Online.
- Measuring Consumption | 4 to 8 June 2018 | Apply Online.
- Understanding the South African Labour Market | 11 to 15 June 2018 | Apply Online.
- Measuring Economic Welfare| 18 to 22 June 2018 | Apply Online.
- Econometrics short course | Next course will be held in 2019.
- Understanding Complex Social Survey Data | Next course will be held in 2019.
- Understanding Panel Survey Data | Next course will be held in 2019.